Monday, August 29, 2005

These Dreams

Kerry and I did some great caching in Cleveland over the weekend. Maybe Columbus is just bad luck for me? Do I need to move? I got in to Cleveland around 2pm on Saturday, and the weather was pretty crappy. But we ventured out anyway. Our idea was to do an indoor cache called "Sponge Worthy" by someone named SerenityNow - it's in a contraceptive museum on the Case Western campus. We plugged in the coordinates, parked, started walking, found it - and the museum was closed. It is only open weekdays during business hours. Probably the OPPOSITE of the times contraceptives are actually used. Undaunted, we went to the next cache that was only a few blocks away in Little Italy. We first had to gather clues from a mural on Murray Hill Road, which goes right through Little Italy. Part of the clue wanted us to count the quarter and eighth notes on one section of the mural - I have forgotten every single music lesson I ever had, as did Kerry, so I had to use a lifeline - I called my cousin Chris. With his help we were able to determine the coordinates for the actual cache, and started walking. Then it started to rain. So making the best of the situation, we stopped in a little Italian restaurant for a glass of Pinot Grigio to wait it out. Eventually we plodded on and found the cache, after which we were soaking wet and muddy. For the record - it was ME that dug around in the trees, vines, and underbrush while Kerry sat it out and deciphered the clue! (sorry, Kerry - but I had to point that out.)
The weather was fab on Sunday (though we got a late start because I slept so long). We did a cache called "Dreamland", which was in Lakeview Cemetery - the cemetery with the big Garfield memorial, and where Rockefeller is buried. It is an unbelievably vast cemetery - beautiful. It has the largest monuments I have ever seen. Kerry reported that it takes 20 minutes to walk from one side of the cemetery to the other, among huge trees and gigantic natural-looking rocks that had been made in to tombstones. This cache required us to tromp around a large portion of the cemetery, getting clues from various headstones. In case you haven't noticed, some of the very best caches lead you to the dead. Our last clue was a big monument with a poem on it. I've posted the poem below. We found the cache easily enough. This was the perfect cache. Known as a "multi-cache", it has you decipher clues and leads you from point to point. The cache was well-placed and not hard to find. However - while we were behind the mausoleum checking out the contents of the cache, some guy came wondering around the side. He was sort of surprised to find someone back there, much less two women sorting through trinkets and signing a log book. I think I had a Star Trek trading card in my hand (it had a picture of Wesley Crusher - which we might start using as our calling card). Kerry and I plan on going back to Lakeview in the fall - it really is a very interesting place.
As a side note: I was doing a spellcheck on this post, and it did not recognize "SerenityNow" and wanted me to replace it with "cremations". Weird.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home